11 February 2010

We're a bit too connected ...

... and not sure what I want to do about that.

The internet is getting scary. Between Facebook/Twitter/GoogleBuzz/Blogger/email/AIM/Skype/*bump*/everything else out there, I know more about my friends' lives than ever, and more information about my life is out there than ever, and I'm sure they know more about my life than they ever wanted to know.

We are so dependent on technology that I sometimes wonder what will happen if it fails. I think that we're losing the ability to go on a walk and have a great conversation. Personally, I love a nice long drive + convo, or a walk + convo, or even going for a run and talking.

One thing I'm learning from my job in a cube-farm is that I really like human connection, and more importantly, I need human connection.

I've done some reaching out online. Sharing my story, asking for guidance, giving guidance, emoting about my feelings. I've always been pretty mindful of the fact that anything I post online can (and probably will at some point) be used against me, but right now, I need to put myself out there.

In the absense of my partner, I am leaning heavily on my friends. I didn't do a good job of that last semester, and it was tough. I need my friends. I like having someone to go to the gym with, someone to have dinner with and someone to wander around Wal-Mart with. I also need alone time. Last semester I had too much alone time. This semester, it's about finding a balance until I move.

Taking David's advice, I have found a new hobby - working out. Last month, I lost 11 lbs. My workout buddy is moving the first week of March, but I'm still going to keep at it. We're doing a "biggest winner" contest at work - at least this way I'll get prizes for my weight loss :) This week's weigh in has me down 1.6 lbs since last Thursday ... considering the crap we ate in DC all weekend, I'm grateful that I didn't gain any!!

1 comment:

The Original MAJ said...

Good job on the working out :)

I wish I was losing as I work out, but I'm not.

And I just blogged about this same crap today! LOL